I love a crunchy slaw. This one showcases healthy raw cauliflower, carrots and radishes. You could easily add broccoli, fennel or celery. Even turnip or rutabaga. I use a julienne peeler to make the carrot strips, but a sharp knife works just as well. Toss in a handful or two of chopped dandelion greens for extra nutrition—no one will even notice they’re there (unless you want them to know).
- 1 small head cauliflower cut into thin strips and small florets (about 3-4 cups)
- 5-6 red radishes cut into thin strips
- 1 large carrot cut into thin strips
- ½ cup minced spring onions (with green tops)
- ½ cup chopped arugula
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro or parsley
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1½ tablespoons cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 small pressed clove of garlic (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place shredded vegetables into a large bowl. Add onions, arugula and herbs and toss well.
- Put olive oil, vinegar or lemon juice and mustard, and garlic (if using) into an empty, clean jar. Season with salt and pepper. Close the jar with its lid and shake well.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine. Adjust salt and pepper as needed. Allow salad to sit for 15 minutes so flavors can meld together.