Cauliflower steaks are all the rage, and with good reason. The roasting lends a deep flavor to this sometimes lackluster vegetable, and may well change your view of cauliflower with just one bite.
- 2 heads of cauliflower, leaves removed
- olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet or smoked Hungarian paprika
- Preheat oven to 400° F. For the steaks, cut the whole cauliflowers into 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick slices. Slice through the entire head from stem through the flower to create each flat steak, using care to keep the flowers attached to the stem. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, or oil the surface of the sheets, and place the slices across the sheets in a single layer.
- Brush each cauliflower steak with oil and sprinkle the spices evenly over the cut surfaces. Sprinkle with salt. Cover the pans with aluminum foil and place in the oven. Roast for about 35-45 minutes, until fork tender and colored with dark brown spots. Turn once during cooking.