Our youngest whipped these yummy noodles up today. It’s her mid-winter break, so there’s extra time for cooking together. Her inspiration was a sauce found in Honest Pretzels by Molly Katzen — but she improvised. That’s her way in the kitchen. These noodles offer the perfect destination for those button mushrooms and tender petite carrots we received in yesterday’s delivery. Toss in any greens you have.
(serves 2 as a main dish)
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 6 ounces linguini or spaghetti
- vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger root
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped broccoli
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1 handful spinach, roughly chopped
- Mix water, vinegar, soy sauce, salt and sesame oil in a small bowl.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions, until just al dente. Drain.
- While pasta is cooking warm a small amount of oil in a large skillet. Add ginger, garlic, carrots, mushrooms and broccoli and turn the heat up to high. Cook until vegetables are brightly colored and crisp-tender (about 2 to 3 minutes), allowing them to brown against the hot pan. Stir occasionally. Add scallions, spinach and sauce and cook for another minute or so.
- Add drained pasta and toss to coat.