This salad is full of flavor at the height of summer corn and tomato season. You can vary the herbs as you like—cilantro or arugula are as winning as the basil.
- 5 ears fresh corn, husked
- 12 – 15 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 ball fresh mozzarella cut into half-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 10 – 15 basil or arugula leaves, roughly chopped or torn
- Place corn ears directly on the grilling rack of a preheated outdoor grill. Or grill them inside on the grate over a gas burner on the stove (on medium-low). Carefully turn ears when the kernels begin to brown, and continue turning periodically until ears darken in color to a deep, saturated hue and are marked on all sides with brown and black spots. Remove from heat and cool. Cut kernels from the cobs and place into a large bowl.
- Add cherry tomatoes, onion and fresh mozzarella to the bowl. Stir in oil and vinegar and season with salt and pepper to taste. Just before serving add torn basil or arugula leaves.