This simple salad is elegant and unusual but quick to prepare. Serve it at a party and your guests will be impressed. Substitute lettuce if you prefer, for the fresh spinach or throw in some arugula for a nice bite. Try adding other seasonal berries such as blackberries or raspberries. Sometimes I substitute toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds) for a nutritious and different crunch.
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, rinsed, hulled and halved
- 1 bunch spinach leaves, thoroughly rinsed and dried (or a mix of arugula and spinach)
- 1/3 cup cubed or crumbled feta cheese
- 1/3 cup toasted walnuts or pecans, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onions
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon honey or agave nectar
- Pinch each of dry dill, oregano and thyme
- Place olive oil, honey/agave, vinegar, salt, herbs and several turns of freshly ground pepper in a clean, empty jelly jar. Shake vigorously to mix. Set aside.
- To assemble salad place spinach leaves, strawberries and onion in a large bowl, add dressing to coat and toss to evenly distribute dressing.
- Add nuts and feta cheese on top and serve immediately.