This salad offers healthy crunch with a sweet kick of ginger. You could substitute pear for the apple or toss in a handful of chopped arugula or fresh herbs. Vary the nuts or seeds if you like: try chopped walnuts, pistachios or pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds).
- 2 cups finely shredded purple cabbage
- 2 cups finely sliced kale (stems removed)
- 1 large apple, cored and cut into thin strips
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon (or to taste) minced, peeled ginger root
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons unsalted, shelled sunflower seeds
- Place cabbage, kale, apples and scallions in a large bowl. Toss with ginger root, oil, vinegar and salt and pepper.
- Place seeds and nuts into a small dry skillet over medium heat. Toast until nuts begin to brown and mustard seeds start popping. Be careful to shake pan frequently to prevent burning. Cool slightly, then toss into salad and mix well.