From The Complete Italian Vegetarian by Jack Bishop, this a simple soup that shines by virtue of the freshest, sweetest carrots that go into it. There are only a few ingredients, so save this recipe for the carrots fresh out of the garden or just topped from the veggie bag delivered this week.
- 1 ½ lbs carrots, peeled
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 medium shallots, minced
- 2 ¼ cups vegetable broth, or water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground white pepper, to taste
- Pinch of nutmeg, preferably freshly grated
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, minced
- Cut carrots into half rounds about ¼ inch thick.
- Heat butter in a medium pot, and add the shallots. Sauté over medium heat until golden. Add the carrots and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring several times.
- Add the stock or water, salt, pepper and nutmeg and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, covered for about 20 minutes, or until the carrots are tender.
- Carefully transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor. Add the milk and puree in batches as necessary. Add hot stock, water or milk to thin the soup if necessary. Adjust the seasonings.
- Ladle the warm soup into bowls and garnish with chives.